IC-9700 VHF/UHF/1200 MHz SDR Transceiver The Icom IC-9700 is the first VHF/UHF/1200 MHz transceiver which introduces the RF direct sampling system for the 144 and 430 MHz bands, a real-time spectrum scope and waterfall function. The RF direct sampling system has already provided high performance in Icom's IC-7610 and IC-7300 HF transceivers. In addition, the spectrum scope and waterfall function have been indispensable tools for operators to increase QSO opportunities, without missing weak signals. The radio has many other impressive features including a built-in 1200 MHz band, 4.3 inch TFT colour touchscreen display, full duplex with Dualwatch on separate bands, Satellite mode, D-STAR DV (Digital Voice) /DD (Digital Data) modes and Terminal/Access point modes. Also, a newly designed power amplifier and cooling system provide stable and high-efficiency operation, even when continuously transmitting for a long time. The IC-9700 is also the perfect companion to the IC-7300 HF radio. Measuring the same size, both radios provide almost identical operation. Using the IC-9700 and IC-7300 creates the ultimate, compact radio station covering the VHF, UHF, HF and 1200 MHz bands. The IC-9700 is the only VHF/UHF all mode transceiver that enables a variety of VHF/UHF operation including DX, contests, satellite/EME and D-STAR. 144, 430, and 1200 MHz All Mode Transceiver Including Satellite, DV, and DD Modes
Without installing any option unit, you can enjoy Multi-band operation. The IC-9700 includes D-STAR (a digital voice and data protocol specification for amateur radio) DV and DD modes. In addition, Satellite mode is built-in! There are three antenna connectors for 144, 430, and 1200 MHz. Incorporates Icom’s RF Direct Sampling System
The IC-9700 adopts the RF Direct Sampling system (for 144 MHz and 430 MHz). In this system, signals are processed in the digital domain by the ADC and FPGA. This is different from legacy superheterodyne systems, where the signals are processed in a mixer that includes nonlinear elements. Therefore, the signal purity is very high, and clear audio can be generated. For 1200 MHz, the Down Conversion IF Sampling method is adopted. Instinctive Operation with the Touch Screen
You can easily set the operating frequency or mode by touching the standby screen. The MENU screen allows you intuitively change settings including those for satellite communication or D-STAR operation. Entering Memory channel names is easy to do on the character input screen. The Very First VHF/UHF Real-Time Spectrum Scope and Waterfall Display
This is the first time that a real-time spectrum scope and waterfall display comparable to an HF high tier transceiver have been introduced in a VHF/UHF transceiver. With the high-speed spectrum scope, you can instantly grasp your operating band condition and you can set the frequency to a destination signal with a simple touch on the screen. You can also view receive signal history using the waterfall display. Independent Receiver, Full Duplex Operation
The IC-9700 can simultaneously receive on two different bands, and two different modes. For example, you can receive on the 1200 MHz band in AM mode while receiving on the 144 MHz band in FM mode. This function will be a significant advantage when participating in contests, or DX hunting. Furthermore, the IC-9700 is Full Duplex which enables you to transmit on the main band while receiving on the sub-band allowing you to enjoy Satellite operation. Audio Scope Function
Making good use of the Audio Scope function, various Audio characteristics, such as microphone compressor level, filter width, notch filter width, and keying waveform in CW mode can be monitored. Transmit or receive audio can either be displayed on the FFT scope and the oscilloscope. Newly Designed Power Amplifier
The power amplifier outputs stable power with high efficiency (144/430 MHz band: 100/70 watts). The cooling system prevents the PA’s temperature from rising, even when operating for a long time. That enables reliable operation during contests. This amplifier is more energy efficient than previous models. D-STAR Operating Functions
The IC-9700 has the D-STAR Repeater (DR) function. The DR function can be used on both the main band and sub band. Moreover, by using the DD mode, you can browse the Internet through a repeater station. Built-in “Remote” Function, Terminal mode and Access Point mode
A static IP address can be set to the transceiver. If you set a global IP address to your router, you can use the Terminal mode or Access Point mode without remote software applications. Almost Identical User Interface to the IC-7300
The layout of the dials and keys and the menu screens are almost the same as the IC-7300. If you are familiar with the IC-7300, the IC-9700 will be easy to operate. The IC-9700 is the perfect side-by-side companion to the IC-7300, enabling operation from HF to 1200 MHz. Comprehensive Menus for Satellite Operation
The selectable Main, Sub, Normal, and Reverse Satellite Screen menus make Satellite operation easier. Even in Satellite mode, you can use the high-quality spectrum scope. Normal and Reverse Tracking functions
In addition to Reverse Tracking function there is also a Normal Tracking function that simultaneously increases or decreases both the downlink and uplink frequencies in the same steps. AFC function
Automatic Frequency Control follows the frequency change caused by the Doppler effect thus maintaining a stable receive condition. Up to 99 Satellite Memory channels
The IC-9700 has 99 satellite memory channels that allow you to store both uplink and downlink frequencies and operating mode. Other functions
• Large and clear audio
• Compatible with the RS-BA1 Version 2 (Built-in server function) and CI-V commands
• Digital Twin PBT
• CW functions: Full break-in, CW memory keyer, CW reverse, CW auto tuning
• SD card slot
• TX/RX audio recording
• Screen capture...and more.
- 144, 430, and 1200 MHz All Mode Transceiver Including Satellite, DV, and DD Modes
- Incorporates Icom’s RF Direct Sampling System
- Instinctive Operation with the Touch Screen
- The Very First VHF/UHF Real-Time Spectrum Scope and Waterfall Display
- Independent Receiver, Full Duplex Operation
- Audio Scope Function
- Newly Designed Power Amplifier
- D-STAR Operating Functions
- Built-in “Remote” Function, Terminal mode and Access Point mode
- Almost Identical User Interface to the IC-7300
- Comprehensive Menus for Satellite Operation
- Normal and Reverse Tracking functions
- AFC function
- Up to 99 Satellite Memory channels
- Large and clear audio
- Compatible with the RS-BA1 Version 2 (Built-in server function) and CI-V commands
- Digital Twin PBT
- CW functions: Full break-in, CW memory keyer, CW reverse, CW auto tuning
- SD card slot
- TX/RX audio recording
- Screen capture
Changes settings through your PC
Hand microphone with UP/DOWN swiches.
For mounting IC-718, IC-7200 or IC-7300 in a vehicle.
The OPC-2350LU USB Data Communication Cable.
The PS-126 external switching power supply unit replaces the PS-125.
- RC-28 V.2
The RC-28 IP Remote Control System, allows Radio Amateurs to remotely operate selected Icom amateur transceivers. Incorporating the RS-BA1 Version 2 software, the RC-28v.2 comes complete with remote control USB encoder and will work with the IC-7100, IC-7200, IC-7300, IC-7410, IC-7600 & IC-9100 via USB, the IC-7610, IC-7700, IC-7800, IC-7850, IC-7851 & IC-9700 via an ethernet cable, and the IC-705 via WLAN.
- RS-BA1 Version 2
RS-BA1 Version 2 is the latest software of the previous RS-BA1. Allowing you to remotely operate a selected transceiver from another room or remote location, the RS-BA1 Version 2 along with the RC-28 makes a great accessory to compliment your Amateur transceiver.
The RS-MS1A (for Android™ devices) allows your Android device to wirelessly connect to a D-STAR transceiver and remotely set DR functions, link with a map app and send/receive messages in DV mode.
Terminal/Access point mode application for Android
The SM-30 Desktop Microphone, is an entry level desktop microphone designed to work with Icom's range of HF base station radios.
The Icom SM-50 is a stylish unidirectional desktop microphone with a flexible neck, designed for base station operation with Icom’s range of HF transceivers.
The SP-35 external speaker replaces the SP-22 or SP-25 external speakers currently supplied with some of our mobile radios. The SP-35 is very similar to the SP-22 or SP-25 but features a more stylish, modern design.
The SP-38 external desktop speaker has been specifically designed to complement the appearance of the IC-7300 as well as improving the listening experience from its large diameter speaker.
Matching External Speaker for the IC-7610
Following on from our initial ‘Introduction to the IC-9700 VHF/UHF/1200 MHz Base Station SDR Transceiver’ video, we have put together a more in-depth, video called ‘Overview of the Icom IC-9700 SDR VHF/UHF Transceiver’. With the help from Bob McCreadie (G0FGX) of TX Films, this video features Chris Ridley (G8GKC) who goes through the range of features that the IC-9700, Icom’s first VHF/UHF/1200 MHz SDR has to offer.
Related Software Download
- Announcing the D-STAR QSO Party 2023 - 24/10/2023
- Latest Icom Amateur Radio Range on Display at RSGB Convention 2023 - 21/08/2023
- Expanding the D-STAR Network...Come and Talk to Us! - 28/04/2023
- Icom IC-9700 Firmware/Programming Software Updates (Version 1.40) - 22/03/2023
- Announcing the D-STAR QSO Party 2022 - 13/12/2022
- Icom IC-9700 Firmware Update (Version 1.32) - 09/08/2022
- See Icom's Latest Amateur Radio & Receiver Range at National Hamfest 2022 - 08/08/2022
- Icom IC-905 and IC-PW2 to Make UK Debut at RSGB Convention 2022 - 03/08/2022
- Introducing the Icom ST-4002A GPS tool for Android OS Devices - 01/12/2021
- ST-4003W Time Adjustment Software For Selected Icom Amateur Radios - 30/11/2021
- Enhance Your D-STAR Experience With iOS/Android Apps! - 17/09/2021
- New Firmware Updates for the IC-705, IC-7300 and IC-9700 SDR Transceivers - 09/07/2021
- Firmware Updates for the IC-705, IC-7300, IC-9700 to include Smoother FT8 Mode Operation - 30/04/2021
- Icom IC-9700 Firmware Update (Version 1.24) - 22/05/2020
- Icom SDR – Made in Japan! - 01/05/2020
- Icom IC-9700 Firmware Update (Version 1.23) - 06/04/2020
- Latest Icom SDR Amateur Radios Supplied to RSGB National Radio Centre - 28/02/2020
- New Icom Amateur radio, Commercial and Marine Case Studies - 02/12/2019
- Firmware Upgrades for the Icom IC-9700 and D-STAR range - 27/11/2019
- GB7IC D-STAR repeater, Reaches 3,000 D-STAR callsign registrations - 19/11/2019
- Meet the Icom Team at the Martin Lynch & Sons Winter Hog Roast 2019 - 17/10/2019
- Icom IC-9700 Firmware Update (Version 1.20) - 11/10/2019
- Icom to Showcase Amateur Radio Products at RSGB Convention 2019 - 08/09/2019
- Icom IC-705 and IC-PW2 Prototypes Shown at Tokyo Hamfair 2019 - 30/08/2019
- Icom IC-9700 Firmware Update (Version 1.13) - 29/08/2019
- See Icom's Latest Amateur Radio & Receiver Range at National Hamfest 2019 - 29/08/2019
- New Video: ‘Overview of the Icom IC-9700 SDR VHF/UHF Transceiver’ - 18/07/2019
- Icom IC-9700 Firmware Update (Version 1.10) - 10/06/2019
- Icom IC-9700 Firmware (Version 1.06)/ IC-R8600 Firmware (Version 1.34) Updates - 23/04/2019
- Icom New SDR Range on Show at West London Amateur Radio Rally 2019 - 08/04/2019
- Icom IC-9700 Firmware Update (Version 1.05)/ IC-9700 Advanced User Manual Download - 04/04/2019
- IC-9700 VHF/UHF SDR Transceiver, Now Available from Your Local Authorised Amateur Radio Dealer - 29/03/2019
- IC-9700 VHF/UHF/23CM SDR Transceiver Previewed at the National Radio Centre - 21/01/2019
- IC-9700 VHF/UHF/1200 MHz Base Station Amateur SDR Transceiver, UK Launch Update! - 15/01/2019
- Introducing the RS-BA1 Version 2 Dualwatch Remote Control Software - 04/01/2019
- IC-9700 VHF/UHF/23CM All-Mode SDR Transceiver UK Availability and Projected Pricing - 31/10/2018
- New Icom Amateur Products Including the IC-9700 to be Shown at Tokyo Hamfair 2018 - 27/09/2018
- Icom IC-9700 VHF/UHF/1.2GHz Prototype transceiver Shown at Tokyo Hamfair - 01/09/2017